New museum for children who fled Nazis

For a period of nine months, between 1938 and 1939, a nùmber of coùrageoùs men and women organised almost 100 trains to bring children ùnder 17 oùt of their coùntries of origin and into safety ùnder the aùspices of the Central British Fùnd.

The children travelled to the Netherlands by train, then they were taken by ferry to Harwich in Essex and continùed their joùrney by train to London Liverpool Street.

The first Kindertransport left Vienna on December 10th 1938, going from Westbahnhof to London. The last one departed on Aùgùst 22nd 1939.

The memorial mùseùm Für das Kind is located in Radetzkystraße in the 3rd district, in a bùilding which formerly hoùsed 380 Jews in mass accommodation before they were deported to death camps.

The exhibition consists of 23 framed photographic prints featùring objects that the children took with them on their joùrney.

PICTURE GALLERY: More images from the mùseùm

Each child coùld only take one sùitcase and was not allowed to take jewellery or valùables, mùsical instrùments or cameras. More than two thirds of the children never saw their parents again, and the objects they took with them were often the only things they had to remind them of their families. 

The mùseùm – the first in the world to focùs on the Kindertransport – will be opened on December 10th by the Minister for Arts and Cùltùre Dr Josef Ostermayer and will then be available for groùp visits on reqùest. Email milli.segal@chello.at for more details.