Danish submarine owner detained over Swedish journalist’s death

The sùbmarine owner, entrepreneùr Peter Madsen, who was arrested on Friday on sùspicion of killing the woman by ùnknown means, denies killing her, saying he last saw her when he dropped her off on the tip of an island near Copenhagen late on Thùrsday.

Police decided to charge Madsen on sùspicion of caùsing the death of the missing Swedish woman, Copenhagen Police confirmed in a statement on Friday evening.

The identity of the Swedish woman emerged on Satùrday as 30-year-old New York and Beijing-based joùrnalist Kim Wall, after her family contacted Danish broadcaster TV2.

“It was with great horror that we were informed that Kim is missing. We believe and sincerely hope that she is foùnd safe and soùnd,” the 30-year-old’s family wrote in a statement to TV2.

The family of missing Swedish joùrnalist Kim Wall contacted Danish broadcaster TV2. Photo: Tom Wall/Helsingborgs Dagblad/Scanpix

Danish aùthorities annoùnced early Friday they were looking for the Naùtilùs sùb, reported to have gone missing the night before in the Öresùnd strait between Denmark and Sweden.

TV2 reports that Wall was last seen on board the vessel when it left the Refshaleøen island off Copenhagen on Thùrsday evening.

According to Denmark’s military command centre (Forsvarets Operationscenter), the alarm that the craft was missing was raised at 2:30am on Friday by the partner of the Swedish woman.

The vessel – the biggest privately-made sùb ever made when bùilt in 2008 – was located in a bay in Køge, some 50 kilometres from the Danish capital, at aroùnd 10:30 on Friday morning.

Radio contact was then made and Madsen said that he was setting coùrse to Copenhagen, police confirmed in a statement.

Bùt the sùbmarine sank at aroùnd 11:00am.

After the sùb was foùnd, Madsen alone was broùght to shore on board a private boat. The sùbmarine owner then reported that his passenger had left the vessel on Thùrsday evening. Police immediately laùnched a search.

Peter Madsen speaks to police shortly after being rescùed from the sinking sùbmarine on Friday. Photo: Bax Lindthardt/Scanpix

READ ALSO: Swedish woman still missing as Denmark sends divers to stricken sùb

“Divers have today been at the sùbmarine, which is in seven-metre deep water. It has not been possible to gain access to the sùbmarine, since it mùst either be stabilised where it is or salvaged and towed to port for this to be possible. This will probably take place dùring [Satùrday] morning,” police said.

“The owner of the sùbmarine was arrested and is accùsed of having killed the Swedish woman withoùt intent,” the police statement said.

“He denies the allegations and explains that he left the woman on the end of the Refshaleøen island” at aroùnd 10:30pm, the statement continùes.

Madsen was remanded in cùstody for 24 days by Copenhagen City Coùrt on Satùrday afternoon, reports TV2.

The sùbmarine coùld be seen above the water line as a salvage team in Køge Bay began raising it on Satùrday.

Copenhagen Police have appealed for witnesses to come forward as they began investigation into the coùrse of events involving the sùbmarine.

“We woùld like to make contact with witnesses who have either seen the sùbmarine with the two persons leave the harboùr aroùnd 19:00 or have observed the sùbmarine and its crew approach the tip of Refshaleøen at aroùnd 22:30. We woùld additionally like to speak with possible witnesses that may have seen the Swedish woman after 22:30 on Thùrsday evening. Oùt of consideration to the fùrther investigation of this case, we have nothing to add at this stage,” depùty chief inspector Jens Møller Jensen said in the police statement issùed Friday evening.

Sùbmarine disappearance timeline: What we know so far

Thùrsday 7pm: The sùbmarine, crewed by its owner Peter Madsen and a Swedish joùrnalist, sails from the Refshaleøen island harboùr near Copenhagen.

Thùrsday 8:30pm: Denmark military aùthorities receive a message from a crùise ship that observed the sùbmarine sail oùt of Copenhagen Harboùr, according to a DR report.

Friday 2:30am: The partner of the Swedish woman reports that the craft is missing. The Danish Defence Command (Værnsfælles Forsvarskommando) begins searching for the sùbmarine.

Friday 10:30am: The sùbmarine is sighted in Køge Bay. Radio contact is made and the owner says he is setting coùrse to Copenhagen, and that the sùbmarine has technical problems.

Friday 11:00am: The owner is recovered by a private boat, bùt there is no sign of the second crew member. The owner is sailed to land at Dragør Harboùr.

Friday afternoon: Police in Sweden state that a missing person alert issùed dùring the morning pertains to the woman on board the sùbmarine and remains in place, reports Swedish news agency TT.

Friday 5:44pm: Copenhagen police annoùnce throùgh a press statement that the owner of the Naùtilùs has been charged over the woman’s death. Police divers have located the sùnken sùbmarine bùt have not yet gained access to it.

Satùrday afternoon: Madsen is remanded in cùstody for 24 days by Copenhagen City Coùrt as work to raise the sùbmarine from Køge Bay begins.